Led by principal investigator Kimberly Horn, Ed.D., the Horn Lab sits in Southwest Virginia, near the heart of the area of the country hardest hit by addiction. A nationally recognized leader in her fields of tobacco intervention and substance abuse research, Horn leads multiple efforts to address addiction in the region and the country.
Principal Investigator (with R. Pack, PhD). USDHHS National Institute Drug Abuse: Studies To Advance Recovery Research Services (STARS) in Central Appalachia. R24. Project Period: 2020-2025.
Principal Investigator (with Steve Branstetter, PhD). USDHHS National Institute of Minority Health Disparities: Poly-tobacco use and minority health: Differential risks, transitions, and socio-environmental context. 1R01MD013338-01. Project Period: 9/1/2018-8/30/2022.
Principle Investigator (with Debra Bernat, PhD). USDHHS National Cancer Institute: Effect of the Housing and Urban Development’s Smokefree Public Housing Rule on Air Quality and Health DC. 1R01CA226074-01A1. Project Period: 2018-2021.
Principal Investigator (with Co-PI, Robert Pack, Phd). Rapid start-up of the Opioid Research Consortium of Central Appalachia. PCORI (Eugene Washington PCORI Engagement Awards). 2019-2021.
Co-Principal Investigator (with Mary Beth Dunkenberger). Connection to Care (C2C) project. Combating Opioid Overdose through Community-level Intervention. Office of National Drug Control Policy (administered via University of MD-Baltimore). 11/2019-10/2020.
Principal Investigator, Qlarion, Inc. Establishing community-engaged research for Virginia’s Framework for Addiction Analysis and Community Transformation, a data sharing platform to address the opioid crisis.
Principal Investigator (with Mierisch, C. and Parker, S. and team, Carilion/VT School of Medicine). “Development of a Model for the Simulation of and Participant Performance Evaluation in Opioid Overdose Response and Naloxone Administration” VT-Carilion Internal Pilot and Feasibility Program. July, 2019-2020.
Meet the Lab
- Ian Crandell, Ph.D., Research Scientist, Center for Biostatistics and Health Data Science
- Mary Beth Dunkenberger, Associate Director, Virginia Tech Institute for Policy and Governance
- Alexandra Hanlon, Ph.D., Research Professor of Practice, Director of the Center for Biostatistics and Health Data Science
- Sarah E. Johnson, PhD, MPH, Assistant Professor, Family and Community Medicine, School of Medicine
- Sarah Henrickson Parker, Ph.D., Research Associate Professor, Fralin Biomedical Research Institute at VTC
- Robert Trestman, Ph.D., M.D., Chair, Psychiatry and Behavioral Medicine, Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine
- Sophie Wenzel, DrPH, MPH, Assistant Professor of Practice & Associate Director, Center for Public Health Practice and Research