Founded in 2010, the Fralin Biomedical Research Institute at VTC is one of the nation’s fastest-growing academic biomedical research enterprises and a destination for world-class researchers. The institute’s Virginia Tech scientists focus on diseases that are the leading causes of death and suffering in the United States, including brain disorders, heart disease, and cancer. In just 10 years, the research institute has experienced unprecedented growth: doubling its enterprise and lab facilities in Roanoke, while also investing in brand-new laboratories on the Children’s National Research & Innovation Campus in Washington, D.C.
We are committed to making our workplace inclusive for everyone. Read our Fralin Biomedical Research Institute Principles of Human Dignity and Non-Discrimination, and Visit our Diversity & Inclusion page for more information.
By The Numbers
(Updated Nov. 2021)
- 37 Faculty-Led Research Teams: Focused on studying addiction, brain health and disease, heart disease, cancer, children's health, and neurorehabilitation.
- Over 400 Current Employees and Trainees. Including 70 Virginia Tech Ph.D. students, and 60 M.D. student trainees currently conducting research under the mentorship of Fralin Biomedical faculty.
- 1,000+ Publications in Leading Scientific Journals. Our faculty have been cited more than 250,000 times. View Discovery News
- $140 Million Current Active Grants and Contracts. Average annual extramural funding per faculty member is $1 million. Since its inception, the institute has been awarded a total of $230 million in grants and contracts.
- 312 Health Leader Seminars Hosted. Since 2010, hundreds of esteemed leaders in science and health have visited and delivered talks at the institute. View Upcoming Seminars and Events
- 250,000-square-feet of Premier Research Facilities. Research institute scientists occupy 239,000-sqft in Roanoke, and an additional 10,000 sqft on the Children's National Research & Innovation Campus in Washington, D.C. - a pediatric research hub that brings together Children's National Hospital with Johnson & Johnson Innovation - JLABS @ Washington, D.C., and Virginia Tech.
- International Community. Our researchers and students come to Roanoke, VA from across the world - including Brazil, Canada, China, France, Germany, Scotland, Ireland, India, Japan, New Zealand, Korea, Spain, Taiwan, Ukraine, Vietnam, Egypt, Syria, Pakistan, Bangladesh, China, Nigeria, Slovakia, and Iran.
The Fralin Biomedical Research Institute makes transformative scientific advances to improve the human experience.
- Understand the fundamental processes of human health and disease.
- Apply those advances to the improvement of health through improved prevention, diagnostics and therapeutics.
- Train the next generation of biomedical science leaders.
- Enhance research-based medical education.
- Sustain and strengthen the Virginia Tech Carilion academic medicine partnership.