Timothy A. Johnson Medical Scholar Lecture Series
Hosted by the Fralin Biomedical Research Institute at VTC, and the VTC School of Medicine
2017 - 2018 Academic Year
- Researching Young Brains: Understanding the Sex Differences Following Injury
April 20, 2018 | Pelin Cengiz, M.D.
- The SHINE Trial (Stroke Hyperglycemia Insulin Network Effort): Considering Trial Design (Watch Lecture)
Mar. 30, 2018 | Karen Johnston, M.D.
- Democratizing Discovery Health with N=Me (Watch Lecture)
Feb. 16, 2018 | Elizabeth Ofili, M.D.
- Role of TL-1A/DR3 in Intestinal Inflammation (Watch Lecture)
Feb. 9, 2018 | Fabio Cominelli, M.D., Ph.D.
- T CD19 CAR-T Cell Immunotherapy for B Cell Malignancies
Nov. 17, 2017 | Cameron Turtle, Ph.D.
- Leveraging the Cyclic GMP Signaling Pathway as a Whole-Person Approach to Treating Acute Pulmonary Embolism (Watch Lecture)
Oct. 27, 2017 | Jeffrey Kline, M.D.
- Finding Solutions for the Obesity Epidemic
Sept. 22, 2017 | Chester Brown, M.D., Ph.D.
- What Rare Diseases Can Teach Us About Common Ones: Lessons from the Urea Cycle (Watch Lecture)
Sept. 15, 2017 | Marshall Summar, M.D.
2016 - 2017 Academic Year
- A Neural Circuitry Basis for the Core Clinical Features of Schizophrenia
April 7, 2017 | David Lewis, M.D.
- Integrins and the Kidney
Feb. 10, 2017 | Roy Zent, M.D., Ph.D.
- Advances in Locally Advanced Pancreatic Cancer through Irreversible Electroporation and Enhanced Chemotherapy Delivery
Feb. 3, 2017 | Robert Martin, M.D., Ph.D.
- Unmet Clinical Need and Identification of Novel Therapeutics
Nov. 11, 2016 | Brian Annex, M.D.
- Macrophage Apoptosis and Efferocytosis in Atherosclerosis (Watch Lecture)
Oct. 21, 2016 | MacRae F. Linton, M.D.
- Thymus Transplantation
Sept. 16, 2016 | M. Louise Markert, M.D., Ph.D.
- Individualized Anatomical ACL Reconstruction (Watch Lecture)
Sept. 1, 2016 | Freddie Fu, M.D.
2015 - 2016 Academic Year
- Stress Urinary Incontinence: Pathophysiology, Spectrum of Treatment and Outcomes
Mar. 25, 2016 | Holly Richter, M.D., Ph.D., FACOG, FACS
- Chronic Metabolic Acidosis: The Progression From Scientific Concept to Clinical Importance to Therapy (Watch Lecture)
Jan. 29, 2016 | Robert J. Alpern, M.D.
- An Electrostatic Mechanism for Ca2+-Mediated Regulation of Gap Junction Channels
Dec. 4, 2015 | Mark Yeager, M.D., Ph.D.
- Advances in Fetal and Neonatal Neuroimaging
Nov. 13, 2015 | P. Ellen Grant, M.D., M.Sc.
- Melanoma and Brain Metastases: Can Immunotherapy Cure a Disease that Arises in the Skin and Kills in the Brain?
Sept. 11, 2015 | Kim Margolin, M.D.
- Gaucher Disease and Parkinsonism: Insights from a Rare Disorder
Sept. 4, 2015 | Ellen Sidransky, M.D.
2014 - 2015 Academic Year
- Neuromodulation of the Sensorimotor Network in Parkinson's Disease
April 3, 2015 | Helen Bronte-Stewart, M.D.
- Nucleotide Repeat Expansions: Inflammation, Neurodegeneration, and the Role of MicroRNA in Pathogenesis
Mar. 20, 2015 | Erin Pennock Foff, M.D., Ph.D.
- Autosomal Recessive Polycystic Kidney Disease: New Insights Reveal Provocative Complexities
Feb. 20, 2015 | Lisa Guay-Woodford, M.D.
- Hepatopulmonary Syndrome: Bedside to Bench and Back Again
Feb. 6, 2015 | Michael Fallon, M.D.
- Pulmonary Hypertension: Has It Become a "Forgettable" Disease?
Nov. 21, 2014 | Robert Bourge, M.D.
- Immunological Mechanisms of Allergic Diseases and Asthma
Oct. 24, 2014 | Hirohito Kita, M.D.
- Clinical Genomics = Personal Genomes + Clan Genomics
Sept. 19, 2014 | James Lupski, M.D., Ph.D.
- Hypothesis-Generating Research and Predictive Medicine
Sept. 12, 2014 | Les Biesecker, M.D.
2013 - 2014 Academic Year
- The Congenital Cranial Dysinnervation Disorders
April 18, 2014 | Elizabeth Engle, M.D.
- Conducting Mechanism-Based Clinical Trials for Genetic Disorders: Neurofibromatosis Type 1
Mar. 21, 2014 | Bruce Korf, M.D., Ph.D.
- Risks of Pegylated Interferon Therapies for HCV Infections in Patients with Cirrhosis
Feb. 28, 2014 | John Vierling, M.D.
- Oxidative Stress: The Prime Cause of Disease and Disability in the Second Half of Life?
Jan. 10, 2014 | Christopher Wilcox, M.D., Ph.D.
- Influenza: Impact and Prevention
Dec. 6, 2013 | Kathryn Edwards, M.D.
- Calcium and Sudden Cardiac Death: From Genes to Teens to Finding Better Drugs
Nov. 8, 2013 | Bjorn Knollmann, M.D., Ph.D.
- HIV/AIDS and HLA B*57: Insights from Rules and Exceptions
Sept. 13, 2013 | Richard Kaslow, M.D., Ph.D.
2012 - 2013 Academic Year
- Holoprosencephaly and Fatty Liver: From Rare Diseases to Common Health Problems
Aug. 23, 2013 | Maximilian Muenke, M.D.
- The Changing Medical View of Memory Disorders and Alzheimer's Disease
May 3, 2013 | Rachelle S. Doody, M.D., Ph.D.
- Muscle Protein Metabolism in Chronic Kidney Disease
Jan. 25, 2013 | William Mitch, M.D.
- Developing Treatment for Hereditary Neuromuscular Diseases
Nov. 9, 2012 | Kenneth Fischbeck, M.D.
- The Cardiac Conduction System: From Development to Disease
Oct. 19, 2012 | Glenn I. Fishman, M.D.
- Rare Disease Discovery in the NIH Undiagnosed Diseases Program
Sept. 7, 2012 | William A. Gahl, M.D., Ph.D.
- Progress in Cystic Fibrosis Translational Research
Aug. 31, 2012 | Eric Sorscher, M.D.