Pioneers in Biomedical Research Seminar Series
Hosted by the Fralin Biomedical Research Institute at VTC
2020-2021 Seminar Series
2017 - 2018 Academic Year
- What Are All These Wires For? Organizing Principles of Neocortical Circuits and Their Function
May 11, 2018 | Kevan Martin, Ph.D.
- The Development of the Modern Cochlear Implant and the First Substantial Restoration of Human Sense Using a Medical Intervention (Watch Lecture)
Mar. 16, 2018 | Blake Wilson, Ph.D., D.Sc., D.Eng.
- Sounds In Silence: How Glial Cells In The Ear Shape Development Of The Auditory System
Jan. 26, 2018 | Dwight Bergles, Ph.D.
- The Neuroscience of Stress-Reward Interactions
- Jan. 19, 2018 | Danny Winder, Ph.D.
- New Insights into Restoring Mitochondrial Energy Production
Dec. 15, 2017 | David Brown, Ph.D.
- The Development and Function of IL-9-Secreting T Cells (Watch Lecture)
Dec. 8, 2017 | Mark Kaplan, Ph.D.
- Under- or Over-Connected? Cortical Circuit Development and Function in DiGeorge/22q11 Deletion Syndrome (Watch Lecture)
Dec. 1, 2017 | Anthony-Samuel LaMantia, Ph.D.
- Prontostriatal Interactions in Learning and Decision Making
Nov. 3, 2017 | Michael Frank, Ph.D.
- Massively Parallel All-Optical Cardiac Electrophysiology (Watch Lecture)
Oct. 27, 2017 | Emilia Entcheva, Ph.D.
- Interactions Between Natural and Drug Reward Influence Vulnerability for Addiction
Sept. 25, 2017 | Lique Coolen, Ph.D.
2016 - 2017 Academic Year
- Understanding the Differentation of Tissue Resident CD4+ T Cells (Watch Lecture)
June 9, 2017 | Marion Pepper, Ph.D.
- Explanation and Reproducibility: Foundational Issues in Cognitive Neuroscience
April 21, 2017 | Aron Barbey, Ph.D.
- Modulation of Human Cognition
Mar. 31, 2017 | Mark Witcher, M.D., Ph.D.
- Probing the Brain’s Response to Trauma at the Cellular and Network Scale
Mar. 24, 2017 | David Meaney, Ph.D.
- Role of Sodium Channel a and b1 Subunits in Epileptic Encephalopathy with SUDEP
Mar. 3, 2017 | Lori Isom, Ph.D.
- Debunking the concept of one gene-one disease in inheritable sudden death (Watch Lecture)
Feb. 24, 2017 | Mario Delmar, M.D., Ph.D.
- Control of T Follicular Helper (Tfh) Cell Responses by IL-2 (Watch Lecture)
Feb. 17, 2017 | Andrew Ballesteros-Tato, Ph.D.
- Assembly and Maturation of Dengue and Zika Viruses (Watch Lecture)
Dec. 9, 2016 | Richard Kuhn, Ph.D.
- Novel Roles for Ikaros Zinc Finger Transcription Factors in T Helper Cell Differentiation
Oct. 28, 2017 | Ken Oestreich, Ph.D.
2015 - 2016 Academic Year
- Repair and Regeneration of the Injured Spinal Cord (Watch Lecture)
April 29, 2016 | Michael Fehlings, M.D., Ph.D.
- Integrating Actin and Adhesion Dynamics in Cell Migration (Watch Lecture)
Mar. 11, 2016 | Clare Waterman, Ph.D.
- The Dynamic Complexity of Cancer Stem Cells
Jan. 15, 2016 | Jeremy Rich, M.D.
- Exploiting Viruses to Understand and Treat Cancer
Dec. 11, 2015 | Clodaugh O'Shea, Ph.D.
- Building and Using In-Vivo Microscopes to Understand Brain Function and Physiology
Dec. 4, 2015 | Elizabeth Hillman, Ph.D.
- Did Free Radicals Kill Lou Gehrig? (Watch Lecture)
Oct. 30, 2015 | Joseph Beckman, Ph.D.
- White Matter Injury and Recovery in the Developing Brain
Oct. 23, 2015 | Vittoria Gallo, Ph.D.
- Central Nervous System Immune Priveilege Revisited
Sept. 25, 2015 | Jonathan Kipnis, Ph.D., M.Sc.
2014 - 2015 Academic Year
- Dysregulation of Ion Channels in Various Disease Processes
May 15, 2015 | Geoffrey Pitt, M.D., Ph.D.
- Novel Roles for Immune Molecules in Brain Development and Disease
May 8, 2015 | A. Kimberley McAllister, Ph.D.
- Marijuana Intoxication, Withdrawal and Relapse: Human Laboratory Studies
April 17, 2015 | Margaret Haney, Ph.D.
- Imaging Mammalian Heart and Vessel Development: Insights into Vascular Remodeling and Congenital Heart Disease
Dec. 12, 2014 | Mary Dickinson, Ph.D.
- Unraveling the Pathogenesis of Respiratory and Enteric Viruses in Normal and High-Risk Populations
Dec. 5, 2014 | Stacey Schultz-Cherry, Ph.D.
- Deciphering the Mechanisms of Actin Filament Architecture in Striated Muscle
Nov. 14, 2014 | Carol Gregorio, Ph.D.
- High-Throughput Self-Interaction Chromatography: Applications to Protein Solubility and Stability
Oct. 10, 2014 | Larry DeLucas, O.D., Ph.D.
- Synapses, Muscular Dystrophy, and Brain Disorders
Oct. 3, 2014 | Lin Mei, M.D., Ph.D.
- A View of Cortex from the Thalamus
Sept. 26, 2014 | S. Murray Sherman, Ph.D.
- The Molecular Toolkit of Viral Hemorrhagic Fevers
Sept. 12, 2014 | Erica Ollmann Saphire, Ph.D.
- Brain Tumors: A Neurocentric Look at Cancer
Aug. 29, 2014 | Harald Sontheimer, Ph.D.
2013 - 2014 Academic Year
- Sex, Drugs, and Funky Rhythms in Silico
- April 25, 2014 | Colleen Clancy, Ph.D.
- Balancing Ultrastructural Synaptic Plasticity During Changes in Synapse Function
April 18, 2014 | Kristen Harris, Ph.D.
- Wiring Up the Retina
Feb. 21, 2014 | Joshua Sanes, Ph.D.
- Mechanisms of Autoimmune Synaptopathies
Jan. 31, 2014 | Rita Balice-Gordon, Ph.D.
- DNA Methylation and Chromatin Architecture: The Nuts and Bolts of Gene Regulation
Jan. 24, 2014 | Paul Wade, Ph.D.
- Top-Down Modulation of Interoception: A New Frontier for Drug and Alcohol Addiction Treatments?
Nov. 1, 2013 | Martin Paulus, M.D.
- Purkinje Fibers and Arrythmias
Oct. 25, 2013 | Penelope Boyden, Ph.D.
- Imaging the Dynamics of Cortical Circuits During Behavior
Sept. 6, 2013 | Karel Svoboda, Ph.D.
2012 - 2013 Academic Year
- Capsids as Compartments
April 26, 2013 | Alasdair Steven, Ph.D.
- Cryo-Electron Microscopy Structures of Protein Folding Machines
April 12, 2013 | Wah Chiu, Ph.D.
- Magnetic Compass Sense of Lab Rodents: Working at the Interface of Quantum Chemistry and Spatial Recognition
April 5, 2013 | John Phillips, Ph.D.
- New Imaging Approaches for Cardiac Structure and Function
Mar. 29, 2013 | Peter Kohl, M.D., Ph.D.
- Mechanisms of Sensory Signaling in a Mammalian Touch Receptor
Feb. 8, 2013 | Ellen Lumpkin, Ph.D.
- Hedgehog Signaling, Stem Cells, and Liver Regeneration
Jan. 18, 2013 | Yin-xiong Li, M.D., Ph.D.
- Structural Dynamics of Muscle Contraction
Dec. 14, 2012 | David Thomas, Ph.D.
- Whole Genome Studies to Identify Genetic Variants Assocated with Chemotherapy
Dec. 7, 2012 | Eileen Dolain, Ph.D.
- Time and the Brain
Nov. 13, 2012 | David Eagleman, Ph.D.
- Chemical Probing Interactions of the Urokinase Receptor
Nov. 2, 2012 | Samy Meroueh, Ph.D.
- Brain Computer Interfaces Increase Whole-Brain Signal-to-Noise
Oct. 5, 2012 | Stephen LaConte, Ph.D.