Maury Strauss Distinguished Public Lectures
The Fralin Biomedical Research Institute Maury Strauss Distinguished Public Lecture Series brings nationally renowned experts to the Roanoke community. The free public lectures are open to members of the general public as well as to Virginia Tech and Carilion Clinic faculty, students, and staff. Due to the pandemic, these lectures will be offered virtually for the foreseeable future.
General ItemVirtual Public Lecture: How Vaccines Train the Immune System in Ways No One Expected
April 15, 2021, 5:30 p.m. | Christine Stabell Benn, M.D., Ph.D., D.M.Sc. | Maury Strauss Distinguished Public Lecture
General ItemVirtual Public Lecture: Deciphering the Dynamics of the Unconscious Brain Under General Anesthesia
May 6, 2021, 5:30 p.m. | Emery N. Brown, M.D., Ph.D. | Maury Strauss Distinguished Public Lecture
Past 2020-2021 Series Lectures
General ItemArchived Lecture: Tiny Conspiracies: Cell-to-Cell Communication in Bacteria
Sept. 3, 2020, 5:30 p.m. | Bonnie Bassler, Ph.D. | Maury Strauss Distinguished Public Lecture
General ItemArchived Lecture: Pediatric Robotics - A Journey from the Lab to a Child's Home
Oct. 15, 2020, 5:30 p.m. | Ayanna Howard, Ph.D. | Maury Strauss Distinguished Public Lecture
General ItemArchived Public Lecture: Understanding Human Pain, Relief and Altered States of Consciousness Using Brain Imaging
Nov. 19, 2020, 5:30 p.m. | Irene Tracey, D.Phil, MA, FRCA, FMedSci | Maury Strauss Distinguished Public Lecture
General ItemArchived Public Lecture: Reconciling Privacy and Accountability: the Context of COVID-19
Dec. 3, 2020, 5:30 p.m. | Anita L. Allen, J.D., Ph.D. | Maury Strauss Distinguished Public Lecture
General ItemVirtual Public Lecture: Navigating Pandemics: Trusted Messenger Perspectives on Coronavirus, COVID-19 and Vaccines
Feb. 25, 2021, 5:30 p.m.| A. Oveta Fuller, Ph.D. | Maury Strauss Distinguished Public Lecture
General ItemArchived Public Lecture: Genes Regulating Sleep and Circadian Rhythms
March 25, 2021, 5:30 p.m. | Michael Young, Ph.D. | Maury Strauss Distinguished Public Lecture **Awarded the 2017 Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine**
General ItemArchived Lecture: Transforming Evidence into HIV Policies and Practice: Lessons from Global Implementation Science
Sept. 19, 2019 | Julie Pulerwitz, Sc.D | Maury Strauss Distinguished Public Lecture
General ItemArchived Lecture: The Science of Minority Health and Health Disparities: NIMHD Perspective
Oct. 17, 2019 | Eliseo Perez-Stable, M.D. | Maury Strauss Distinguished Public Lecture
General ItemArchived Lecture: Climate Change: Policy, People, and Place
Nov. 7, 2019 | Vicki Arroyo, M.P.A., J.D. | Maury Strauss Distinguished Public Lecture
General ItemArchived Lecture: Social Inequality & Cancer Survival: How Can We Close the Gap?
Dec. 5, 2019 | Ophira Ginsburg, M.D. | Maury Strauss Distinguished Public Lecture
General ItemArchived Lecture: What's Next in Digital Health Care?
Dec. 12, 2019 | John Halamka, M.D., M.S. | Maury Strauss Distinguished Public Lecture
General ItemArchived Lecture: Catalyzing Translational Innovation
Jan. 23, 2020 | Christopher Austin, M.D. | Maury Strauss Distinguished Public Lecture
General ItemArchived Lecture: The Cognition Crisis: Perils and Promise of Technology and the Brain
Feb. 27, 2020 | Adam Gazzaley, M.D., Ph.D. | Maury Strauss Distinguished Public Lecture
General ItemArchived Lecture: Can Exercise Teach Us How to Treat Heart Failure?
Oct. 4, 2018 | Anthony Rosenzweig, M.D. | Maury Strauss Distinguished Public Lecture
General ItemArchived Lecture: Synapses Lost and Found: Developmental Critical Periods and Alzheimer's Disease
Nov. 29, 2018 | Carla Shatz, Ph.D. | Maury Strauss Distinguished Public Lecture
General ItemArchived Lecture: Disability in the 21st Century: What Are We Thinking, Talking, and Doing About It?
Nov. 15, 2018 | Peter Rosenbaum, M.D., F.R.C.P. | Maury Strauss Distinguished Public Lecture
General ItemArchived Lecture: Engineering Human Tissues for Medical Impact
Dec. 13, 2018 | Gordana Vunjak-Novakovic, Ph.D. | Maury Strauss Distinguished Public Lecture
General ItemArchived Lecture: Socioeconomic Status and Brain Development: From Science to Policy
Jan. 24, 2019 | Martha J. Farah, Ph.D. | Maury Strauss Distinguished Public Lecture
General ItemArchived Lecture: Caloric Restriction and Longevity: From Calorie- to Time-Restricted Feeding
Jan. 31, 2019 | Eric Ravussin, Ph.D. | Maury Strauss Distinguished Public Lecture
General ItemArchived Lecture: Achieving Sustainable Development in the United States and throughout the World
Feb. 21, 2019 | Jeffrey Sachs, Ph.D. | Maury Strauss Distinguished Public Lecture
General ItemArchived Lecture: Remodeling and Makeovers in Renal Cell Carcinoma
Feb. 28, 2019 | Kimryn Rathmell, M.D., Ph.D. | Maury Strauss Distinguished Public Lecture
General ItemArchived Lecture: Strengthening the Disaster Resilience of Academic Research Communities
Mar. 28, 2019 | Georges C. Benjamin, M.D. | Maury Strauss Distinguished Public Lecture
General ItemArchived Lecture: The Age of Living Machines: How the Convergence of Biology and Engineering Will Build the Next Technology Revolution
April 18, 2019 | Susan Hockfield, Ph.D. | Maury Strauss Distinguished Public Lecture
General ItemArchived Lecture: Understanding, Treating, and Preventing Addiction: What Would Animals Do?
April 25, 2019 | Marilyn Carroll, Ph.D. | Maury Strauss Distinguished Public Lecture
General ItemArchived Lecture: The New Genetics of Mind: Navigating a Brave New World
May 23, 2019 | Steven Hyman, M.D. | Maury Strauss Distinguished Public Lecture
2017 - 2018 Academic Year
- A Path from Genes to Treatment of Fragile X Syndrome and Related Developmental Brain Disorders (Watch Lecture)
Oct. 19, 2017 | Mark Bear, Ph.D.
- Positioning Lifestyle for Enhanced Treatment of Obesity
Nov. 15, 2017 | John M. Jakicic, Ph.D.
- Prevention of Obesity and Diabeters (Watch Lecture)
Feb. 8, 2018 | Griffin P. Rodgers, M.D., M.A.C.P.
- On the Rational Boundedness of Cognitive Control (Watch Lecture)
Mar. 22, 2018 | Jonathan Cohen, M.D., Ph.D.
- Winning Hearts and Minds for Science (Watch Lecture)
April 5, 2018 | Mary Woolley, M.A.
- The Scarcity Context and Mindset: Behavioral and Policy Implications (Watch Lecture)
May 17, 2018 | Eldar Shafir, Ph.D.
2016 - 2017 Academic Year
- Our Environment, Our Health, and Our Future (Watch Lecture)
Oct. 20, 2016 | Linda S. Birnbaum, Ph.D., DABT, ATS
- Neurocircuitry of Addiction: An Alcohol Perspective (Watch Lecture)
Jan. 19, 2017 | George Koob, Ph.D.
- Defining New Pathways for Human Arrythmia
Jan. 26, 2017 | Peter J. Mohler, Ph.D.
- Unraveling the Multigenerational Syndrome of Diabetic Embryopathy: From Cell Signaling to Clinical Care (Watch Lecture)
Mar. 9, 2017 | E. Albert Reece, M.D., Ph.D., MBA
- Early Childhood Education: What Works and What Doesn't
Mar. 16, 2017 | Greg J. Duncan, Ph.D.
- What it's Like To Be A Dog: Using MRI to See How Dogs Think
May 9, 2017 | Gregory S. Berns, M.D., Ph.D.
- The Power of Integration in the Biomedical Sciences and Beyond: Using All Spheres of Knowledge to Solve Our Most Challenging Problems (Watch Lecture)
May 18, 2017 | David J. Skorton, M.D.
2015 - 2016 Academic Year
- Gene Targeting into the 21st Century: Modeling Human Disease from Cancer to Neuropsychiatric Disorders (Watch Lecture)
Nov. 12, 2015 | Mario Capecchi, Ph.D.
- Can We Live to 100? New Evidence from the National Institute on Aging (Watch Lecture)
Dec. 10, 2015 | Marie A. Bernard, M.D.
- Repair and Regeneration of the Injured Spinal Cord (Watch Lecture)
April 29, 2016 | Michael Fehlings, M.D., Ph.D.
- Cytokines and Human Immunodeficiency: From Genes to New Therapeutics
May 25, 2017 | Warren J. Leonard, M.D.
- A Neural Circuit Approach to Psychiatric Illness (Watch Lecture)
June 8, 2017 | Joshua Gordon, M.D., Ph.D.
2014 - 2015 Academic Year
- Dopamine Neuron Regulation and its Disruption in Schizophrenia and Depression
Sept. 11, 2014 | Anthony Grace, Ph.D.
- Modern Treatment of Alcoholism
Oct. 2, 2014 | Charles P. O'Brien, M.D., Ph.D.
- Influenza Epidemics and Pandemics
Nov. 20, 2014 | Adolfo Garcia-Sastre, Ph.D.
- Epigenetics and the Immune System
Dec. 4, 2014 | Jeremy Boss, Ph.D.
- Linking Discoveries in Developmental Biology to 3-Dimensional Printing of New Tissues and Micro-Organs
Jan. 8, 2015 | Roger R. Markwald, Ph.D.
- Molecular Architecture of the Circadian Clock in Mammals
Feb. 12, 2015 | Joseph S. Takahashi, Ph.D.
- Infectious Causes of Heart Failure: Viral Myocarditis
Mar. 19, 2015 | Kirk Knowlton, M.D.
- Fruit Flies and the Human Heart: The Evolution and Function of Potassium Channels From the Inside Out
April 30, 2015 | Gail Robertson, Ph.D.
- Fear and Fear-Related Disorders: From Pavlov to PTSD
May 21, 2015 | Kerry Ressler, M.D., Ph.D.
2013 - 2014 Academic Year
- Family-Wide Impacts of Genetics: The Case of Fragile X
Sept. 26, 2013 | Marsha R. Mailick, Ph.D.
- Autism: New Mutations, Genes, and Pathways
Nov. 14, 2013 | Evan Eichler, Ph.D.
- Innovations in Stroke Neurorehabilitation
Jan. 9, 2014 | Steven L. Wolf, Ph.D.
- What Is the BRAIN Initiative and What Will It Teach Us About Ourselves?
Feb. 20, 2014 | Joshua Sanes, Ph.D.
- Charting Our Future Together: Envisioning a Diverse, Adaptive, and Networked Biomedical Science Ecosystem
April 3, 2014 | Gary Gibbons, M.D.
- How Viruses Infect the Brain
April 10, 2014 | Terence S. Dermody, M.D.
- What Makes the Human Brain Human?
May 1, 2014 | Terrence J. Sejnowski, Ph.D.
- Cancer and Aging
May 22, 2014 | Ronald A. DePinho, M.D.
2012 - 2013 Academic Year
- Children’s Right to Thrive: The Promise and Barriers to Putting Science into Action
Oct. 4, 2012 | Craig Ramey, Ph.D. and Sharon Ramey, Ph.D.
- GABA Neurons in Schizophrenia
Oct. 25, 2012 | Francine Benes, M.D., Ph.D.
- The Brain and the Law
Nov. 12, 2012 | David Eagleman, Ph.D.
- Personalized Cancer Medicine: Are We There Yet?
Dec. 6, 2012 | Eileen Dolan, Ph.D.
- The Power of Singing: Implications for Brain Plasticity and Recovery of Function
Jan. 10, 2013 | Gottfried Schlaug, M.D., Ph.D.
- Denial of Service Attacks: Network Hyperexcitability in Alzheimer’s Dementia
Jan. 17, 2013 | Jeffrey Noebels, M.D., Ph.D.
- Exciting New Ways to Stimulate the Brain to Treat Depression or Pain
Feb. 14, 2013 | Mark George, M.D.
- Understanding Biological Systems: Mission Impossible?
- March 28, 2013 | Peter Kohl, M.D., Ph.D.
- Visualizing Molecular Machines and Cells
April 11, 2013 | Wah Chiu, Ph.D.
- Changing Fear
April 18, 2013 | Elizabeth Phelps, Ph.D.
Engaging the Public in Biomedical Research
Aug. 15, 2013 | Yvonne Maddox, Ph.D.
2011 - 2012 Academic Year
- The Molecular Biology of Memory Formation
Sept. 9, 2011 | Ron Davis, Ph.D.
- What Do We Know About Addiction?
Sept. 29, 2011 | Nora Volkow, M.D.
- Seeing What the Nose Tells the Brain
Sept. 30, 2011 | Matt Wachowiak, Ph.D.
- How the Mind Makes Morals
Oct. 13, 2011 | Patricia Churchland, Ph.D.
- Parallel Universes
Oct. 20, 2011 | Robert Kimberly, M.D.
- How Electron Crytomography is Opening a Window into Bacterial Ultrastructure
Oct. 27, 2011 | Grant Jensen, Ph.D.
- Bacterial Toxins: Structural Studies of Molecular Trojan Horses
Nov. 3, 2011 | Melanie Ohi, Ph.D.
- Why Tools of the Mind and Montessory Educational Approaches Help Executive Function Skills
Dec. 1, 2011 | Adele Diamond, Ph.D.
- Steroid Hormones and Cancer
Dec. 8, 2011 | Jan-Ake Gustafsson, M.D., Ph.D.
- Neurotransmitter Transporters
Jan. 12, 2012 | Susan Amara, Ph.D.
- Evolution of an Adaptive Immune System of Defense
Jan. 19, 2012 | Max Cooper, M.D.
- New Approaches to Treating Chronic Pain
Jan. 26, 2012 | Robert Gereau, Ph.D.
- What Therapeutic Drugs Do
Feb. 2, 2012 | John Scott, Ph.D.
- How Does a Frog Egg Solve Geometry Problems?
Feb. 9, 2012 | Timothy Mitchison, Ph.D.
- Behavioral Choice Theory and Obesity
Feb. 23, 2012 | Leonard Epstein, Ph.D.
- The Violent Brain: Ethical and Legal Implications
March 8, 2012 | Afrian Raine, D.Phil.
- The Functional Architecture of Face Processing
Mar. 15, 2012 | Lesie Ungerleider, Ph.D.
- Back to the Future: Brain Stimulation in Psychiatry
Mar. 29, 2012 | Sarah Lisanby, M.D.
- Your Genome and Your Health
April 5, 2012 | Richard Gibbs, Ph.D.
- Stem Cells and Regenerative Medicine
May 10, 2012 | Amy Wagers, Ph.D.
- How the Brain Develops the Ability to Integrate Information from Different Senses
May 24, 2012 | Barry Stein, Ph.D.
2010 - 2011 Academic Year
- Risk, Resilience, and Gene-Environment Interplay
Mar. 24, 2011 | Stephen Suomi, Ph.D.
- Glial Derived Brain Tumors
April 7, 2011 | Harald Sontheimer, Ph.D.
- Synaptic Plasticity - The Brain's Response to Experience
May 6, 2011 | Robert Malenka, Ph.D., M.D.
- Developing Pharmacotherapies for Cognitive Impairment in Down Syndrome
May 19, 2011 | Craig C. Garner, Ph.D.
About Maury Strauss
Maury Strauss is a longtime community benefactor and businessman who supports biomedical research with the goal of energizing the local economy and improving quality of life in our neighborhoods and around the world. The founder of the Strauss Development Corp., a real estate development firm, Mr. Strauss and his family learned about the Fralin Biomedical Research Institute at VTC, and the work done here. In order to ensure the continued success of Roanoke’s biomedical research enterprise, as well as the free, public seminars by the world’s leading scientists, Mr. Strauss has made a generous gift to the series, which has been renamed in his honor as the Fralin Biomedical Research Institute at VTC Maury Strauss Distinguished Public Lecture Series. Read VT News Story
Support Our Science
Fralin Biomedical Research Institute advances scientific discovery daily in our labs and promotes it in the community through lectures, seminars and talks. Any contribution carries that mission further.