The Fralin Biomedical Research Institute's Molecular Analysis suite is a state-of-the-art flow cytometric facility located in Room R1090, 2 Riverside Circle.
The Accuri C6 Flow Cytometer is a low cost option for the analysis of the expression of cell surface and intracellular proteins. This machine has two lasers (488 nm and 640 nm) and allows simultaneous measurement of four parameters.
The Sony SH800 cell sorter can both analyze and sort cell populations. The SH800 is equipped with four lasers (405 nm, 488 nm, 532 nm, and 633 nm) and is capable of measuring as many as twelve parameters and two direction cell sorting. As with the Accuri C6, the SH800 is ideal for the analysis of the expression of cell surface and intracellular proteins. However, the SH800 can also sort cells for downstream applications. Cells can be sorted at any density with single cell sorting possible. As such, this machine is ideal for analyzing and sorting small populations of in vitro or in vivo derived cells.
The Droplet digital PCR is a highly sensitive way to examine a variety of gene and gene expression data. Applications for this machine include, but are not limited to: absolute quantification of transcripts, detection of rare mutations, genome editing, gene expression analysis at the single cell level, genotyping, and DNA methylation analysis. This instrument can quantitatively assess small amounts of starting material.
To initiate use of the equipment in the Molecular Analysis facility:
- Contact Facility Director Chandra Bain to schedule any required training.
- A one- to two-hour training session is required for each individual piece or suite of equipment for each new user.
- Once training is completed, the manager will allow access to a web calendar for scheduling time on the equipment and allowing access to the the facility.
- Equipment use is self-service. Users should come to the suite with their samples and protocols prepared. The manager is available to consult as needed.
- User manuals are available for all equipment in the facility.
- Some consumables are provided. Details available from the facility director.
- Inform the facility director of any equipment problems or consumables needed.