Undergraduate Research Opportunities
Learn about year-round undergraduate research opportunities and our Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowship (SURF) programs.
As a result of the COVID-19 crisis and in accordance with Virginia Tech policy, we have put a temporary hold on non-paid student placements in our labs until further notice. We value our student researchers and look forward to welcoming you back when restrictions are lifted. Decisions regarding student participation in the fall will be made pending further information and guidance from university leadership - we encourage you to check back here for updates in the coming weeks.
We offer year-round opportunities for undergraduates wishing to receive research training. Undergraduate positions vary, and may be for-credit (Fall/Spring/Summer), volunteer, or paid. Students who have identified investigators whose research appeals to them should submit an application here online. Prospective trainees may learn more about individual faculty, their research, and publications through our Primary Faculty and Laboratory pages.
Applications must include:
- A resume, including any laboratory skills and experiences, and courses taken (and in progress) with grades
- An unofficial university transcript
- A statement of the student's research interests, including specific research institute faculty they are interested in working with
- An estimate of the time the student would be available to participate in research (e.g. Fall semester, 10 hrs/week)
Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowship (SURF) Opportunities
Exceptional undergraduate students looking for summer opportunities are encouraged to apply for one of Virginia Tech’s competitive summer undergraduate fellowship programs. Many of these programs provide a stipend, housing, and short-courses to compliment the research experience. For more information and to apply, visit the program websites:
- The NeuroSURF Program emphasizes Translational Neurobiology and is now open for applications for its inaugural class. The program supports accepted students with a stipend, and housing for those who need it.
- The Molecular Visualization SURF Program emphasizes use of imaging technologies across multiple fields of biomedical research, and will soon be open for applications for its inaugural class. The program supports accepted students with a stipend and housing for those who need it.
- Multicultural Academic Opportunities Program’s Summer Research Internships
The internships include a $3,000 stipend, free room and board, a 10 week GRE prep class, and a variety of other weekly activities and excursions. Awardees may perform research with participating institute faculty.