Paras Patel's Dissertation Defense (5/5/2022): The Role of CASK in Central Nervous System Function and Disorder
More About the Candidate and Project
Virginia Tech, Translational Biology, Medicine, and Health, Ph.D. Candidate
Wake Forest University, B.S., Biology
Graduate Research Assistant, Mukherjee Lab
Konark Mukherjee, Ph.D., MBBS, Assistant Professor, Fralin Biomedical Research Institute at VTC
- NIH Ruth L. Kirschstein National Research Service Award (NRSA) F31 NS120584-01A1 - 2021
- Society for Neuroscience Trainee Professional Development Award 2021
- American Society for Neurochemistry Young Investigator Educational Enhancement 2021
- NPGA Flash Talks best seminar – Neuroscience Postdoctoral and Graduate Association 2021
- 3rd place best poster – Central Virginia Chapter of the Society for Neuroscience Meeting 2019
- Research!America Civic Engagement Microgrant 2019
- Wake Forest University Department of Linguistics Distinguished Student 2017
- ACC-IAC Fellows Program in Creativity and Innovation Grant 2015
- Wake Forest University Dean’s List Fall 2013, Fall 2014, Spring 2015
- Wake Forest School of Business Center for Leadership and Character Distinction 2015
Patel PA, Hegert J, Cristian I, Kerr A, LaConte LEW, Fox MA, Srivastava S, Mukherjee K. 2021. “Complete loss of CASK causes severe ataxia through cerebellar degeneration in human and mouse”. Journal of Medical Genetics. Published Online First: 11 February 2022. doi: 10.1136/jmedgenet-2021-108115
Mukherjee K, Patel PA, Rajan DS, LaConte LEW, Srivastava S. 2020. “Survival of a male patient harboring CASK Arg27Ter mutation to adolescence”. Molecular Genetics and Genomic Medicine. E1426.
Patel PA, Liang C, Arora A, Vijayan S, Ahuja S, Wagley PK, Settlage R, LaConte LEW, Goodkin HP, Lazar I, Srivastava S, Mukherjee K. 2020. “Haploinsufficiency of X-Linked gene CASK induces post-transcriptional changes in synaptic and cellular metabolic pathways”. Experimental Neurology. Vol. 329: 113319.
Kerr A, Patel PA, LaConte LEW, Liang C, Chen CK, Shah V, Fox MA, Mukherjee K. 2019. “Non-Cell Autonomous Roles for CASK in Optic Nerve Hypoplasia”. Investigative Ophthalmology and Visual Science. Vol. 60(10): 3584-3594.
Patel PA, Hegert J, Cristian I, Kerr A, LaConte LEW, Fox MA, Srivastava S, English DF, Mukherjee K. “Cerebellar Abnormalities Associated with Loss of the Synaptic Scaffold CASK Follow a Degenerative Trajectory and Manifest Differentially Based on Sex”. 2021. Society for Neuroscience Meeting 2021.
Patel PA, Hegert J, Cristian I, Kerr A, LaConte LEW, Fox MA, Srivastava S, Mukherjee K. “Complete CASK Loss Causes Cerebellar Degeneration in Human and Mouse”. 2021.American Society for Neurochemistry Meeting 2021.
Patel PA. “SNPshots of the Brain: CASK as a Window into Form and Function”. 2021. Research in Progress Seminar Series.
Patel PA. “Homeostatic Trajectories and the Two Sides of CNS Development: CASK Mutations as an Exemplar”. 2020. Research in Progress Seminar Series.
Patel PA. “Diverse Functions of an Enigmatic Scaffolding Molecule”. 2020. Research in Progress Seminar Series.
Patel PA, LaConte LEW, Ahuja S, Lazar I, Mukherjee K. 2019. “Molecular Changes, Protein Complexes, and Subcellular Compartments Associated with CASK Protein and Pathology”. Translational Biology, Medicine, and Health Open House.
Patel PA, Vogelaar N, LaConte LEW, Sobrado P, Mukherjee K. 2019. “High Throughput Compound Screening for Transcriptional Manipulation in Neurological Disorders Related to CASK Mutation”. Virginia Drug Discovery Rx: Virginia Drug Discovery Consortium Symposium.
Patel PA, Mukherjee K. 2019. “Role of CASK in motor learning deficits and microcephaly”. Central Virginia Chapter of the Society for Neuroscience Annual Meeting. Poster Award
Patel PA, Olsen ML. 2018. “Finding Reliable Markers for Cortical Astrocytes and Electrophysiological Verification of Barium Sensitivity of Transfected Kir4.1/Kir5.1 Heteromers”. Translational Biology, Medicine, and Health Rotation Presentation.
Patel PA, Schuppe ER, Fuxjager MJ. 2017. “The Evolution of Multimodal Signaling in the Woodpecker Family”. Wake Forest University Department of Biology Honors Thesis Presentation.
Patel PA, Judy T. 2016. “Direct Object Pronoun Dropping in Spanish-Polish Bilinguals in the Misiones Province of Argentina”. Wake Forest University Summer Undergraduate Research Poster Symposium.
- NeuroSURF Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowship, 2018-2019
- Virginia Tech undergraduate students, 2018-present
Outreach and Service
- Science Museum of Southwest Virginia LAB Chats, 2021
- Co-founder and Co-host, Big Lick of Science Podcast, 2019-present
- Roanoke Virginia Governor’s School Project Forum Poster Session Judge, 2019
- Regional Science Fair Judge, 2019
- Virginia State Science Fair Judge, 2019
- Grandin Court Elementary School Neuroscience Outreach Demonstrator, 2019
- Conversation Skills Workshop for International Students at Wake Forest, 2014–2017