Randy Strauss's Dissertation Defense (9/13/2021): The Cx43 Carboxyl-Terminal Mimetic Peptide, αCT1, Protects Endothelial Barrier Function in a ZO1 Binding-Competent Manner
More About the Candidate and Project
Virginia Tech Translational Biology, Medicine, and Health, Ph.D. Candidate
University of Delaware, B.S., Neuroscience, B.A., Psychology
Graduate Research Assistant, Gourdie Lab and the Center for Vascular and Heart Research, Fralin Biomedical Research Institute at VTC
Robert Gourdie, Ph.D., Commonwealth Research Commercialization Fund Eminent Scholar in Heart Reparative Medicine Research and director, Center for Vascular and Heart Research, Fralin Biomedical Research Institute at VTC
- Michael Koval, Ph.D., Professor, Department of Medicine, Division of Pulmonary, Allergy, Critical Care and Sleep Medicine, Emory University School of Medicine
- James Smyth, Ph.D., Associate Professor, Fralin Biomedical Research Institute at VTC
- John Chappell, Ph.D., Associate Professor, Fralin Biomedical Research Institute at VTC
- Michael Fox , Ph.D., Professor, Fralin Biomedical Research Institute at VTC, and director, School of Neuroscience, College of Science, Virginia Tech
- Ruth L. Kirschstein National Research Service Award (NRSA) Individual Predoctoral Fellowship (Parent F31), April 2019
- Young Trainee Award, International Gap Junction Conference , July 2019
- Fralin Biomedical Research Institute Lab Olympics Champion, 2018
- Travel Fund Program Award, Virginia Tech Graduate School, July 2017
- First Place Team, Shark Tank Competition, 2016
Strauss RE, Mezache L, Veeraraghavan R, Gourdie RG. The Cx43 Carboxyl-Terminal Mimetic Peptide αCT1 Protects Endothelial Barrier Function in a ZO1 Binding-Competent Manner. Biomolecules. 2021; 11(8):1192.
Strauss RE, Gourdie RG. Cx43 and the Actin Cytoskeleton: Novel Roles and Implications for Cell-Cell Junction-Based Barrier Function Regulation. Biomolecules. 2020 Dec 10;10(12):1656.
Jiang JB, Strauss R, Luo XQ, Nie C, Wang YL, Zhang JW, Zhang ZW. Anaesthesia modalities during laser photocoagulation for retinopathy of prematurity: a retrospective, longitudinal study. BMJ Open. 2017 Jan 24;7(1):e013344.
Obert E, Strauss R, Brandon C, Grek C, Ghatnekar G, Gourdie R, Rohrer B. Targeting the tight junction protein, zonula occludens-1, with the connexin43 mimetic peptide, alphaCT1, reduces VEGF-dependent RPE pathophysiology. J Mol Med (Berl). 2017 May;95(5):535-552.
Strauss R, Gourdie RG. The Connexin 43 Carboxyl-Terminus affects Tight Junction Function Via ZO-1 Targeting . Proceedings of the International Gap Junction Conference. 2017 July 29-Aug 2nd. Glasgow, Scotland; 2017 Abstract PS2.74
Benjamin P. Heithoff, Jane Jourdan, Randy Strauss, Robert G. Gourdie, Stefanie Robel. “Glial Fibrillary Acidic Protein (GFAP) may be an essential player in keeping the aging blood-brain barrier healthy”; Poster presented at Glia in Health and Disease Conference 2018, Cold Spring Harbor, NY
International Gap Junction Conference, Victoria Canada, 2019 (Oral Presentation)
Pannexin Conference, University of Virginia, 2019 (Oral Presentation)
International Gap Junction Conference, Victoria Canada, 2019 (Poster)
- Graduate Student Ambassador, Virginia Tech, 2017
- Roanoke River Greenway Cleanup, 2017
You May Also Be Interested In...
Home ItemVirtual Seminar: Resolving Substrate Recruitment to PRMT5 and Its Role in MTAP Null cancer , home
Dec. 9, 2021 12:00 p.m. | Kathleen Mulvaney, Ph.D. | Seminar
Home ItemIn Person Seminar: Development of Cardiac Biorhythmicity , home
Dec. 10, 2021, 11:00 a.m. | Michael Bressan, Ph.D. | Pioneers in Biomedical Research Seminar Series
Home ItemVirtual Seminar: Gut Microbiota Alteration of Host Metabolic Profile Modulates Cocaine Responses , home
Dec. 13, 2021 12:00 p.m. | Santiago Cuesta, Ph.D. | Seminar
Home ItemVirtual Seminar: Dissecting Glioma Heterogeneity , home
Dec. 15, 2021 12:00 p.m. | Lin Wang, Ph.D. | Seminar
Home ItemVirtual Public Lecture: Transforming Prenatal Screening: From New Technologies to Gender Reveal Parties , home
Dec. 16, 2021 5:30 p.m. | Diana Bianchi, M.D. | Maury Strauss Distinguished Public Lecture | Dr. Bianchi is an elected member of the National Academy of Medicine
Home ItemVirtual Seminar: Navigating Abstract Spaces , home
Dec. 17, 2021, 11:00 a.m. | Daniela Schiller, Ph.D. | Pioneers in Biomedical Research Seminar Series