Yassine Sassi, Ph.D.
Seeking new therapies for cardiovascular and pulmonary diseases
Do our genetic building blocks hold secrets to heart and respiratory illnesses?
The Sassi Laboratory focuses on studying the role of coding and non-coding RNAs and cyclic nucleotides pathways in cardiac health and disease, pulmonary arterial hypertension and pulmonary fibrosis. Using multiple approaches involving cell and molecular biology, and animal models of cardiovascular and pulmonary diseases, the Sassi Lab aims to identify new therapeutic approaches for cardiovascular and pulmonary diseases.
R-2204, Riverside 4
- Assistant Professor, Fralin Biomedical Research Institute at VTC
- Assistant Professor, Department of Biomedical Sciences and Pathobiology, Virginia-Maryland College of Veterinary Medicine
Jones C, Bisserier M, Bueno-Beti C, Bonnet G, Neves-Zaph S, Lee SY, Milara J, Dorfmüller P, Humbert M, Leopold JA, Hadri L, Hajjar RJ, Sassi Y. A novel secreted-cAMP pathway inhibits pulmonary hypertension via a feed-forward mechanism. Cardiovasc Res. 2019 Sep 14.
Magadum A, Kurian AA, Chepurko E, Sassi Y, Hajjar RJ, Zangi L. Specific modified mRNA Translation system. Circulation. 2020 Dec 22;142(25):2485-2488
Bikou O, Hadri L, Hajjar RJ, Sassi Y. Induction and characterization of pulmonary hypertension in mice using the Hypoxia/Sugen model. J Vis Exp. 2020 Jun 3;(160).
Sassi Y, Avramopoulos P, Ramanujam D, Grüter L, Werfel S, Giosele S, Brunner AD, Esfandyari D, Papadopoulou AS, De Strooper B, Hübner N, Kumarswamy R, Thum T, Yin X, Mayr M, Laggerbauer B, Engelhardt S. Cardiac myocyte miR-29 promotes pathological remodeling of the heart by activating Wnt signaling. Nat Commun. 2017 Nov 20;8(1):1614. PMID: 29158499
Sassi Y, Ahles A, Truong DJF, Hulot JS, Baqi Y, Müller C, Husse B, Dendorfer A, Laggerbauer B, Engelhardt S. Cardiac myocyte-secreted cAMP exerts paracrine action via adenosine receptor activation. J Clin Invest. 2014 Dec;124(12):5385-97. PMID: 25401477
Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, Assistant Professor of Medicine, Cardiology
Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, Instructor of Medicine, Cardiology
Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, Postdoctoral Fellow, Department of Medicine, Cardiovascular Research Center
Institut für Pharmakologie und Toxikologie der Technischen Universität München, Munich, Germany, Postdoctoral Fellow
- Pierre et Marie Curie University, Paris, France, Ph.D., Cardiovascular Physiology
- Pierre et Marie Curie University, Paris, France, M.Sc., Clinical Pharmacology
- Pierre et Marie Curie University, Paris, France, B.Sc., Biochemistry
- Transformational Project Award, American Heart Association, 2021
- Innovative Project Award, American Heart Association, 2018
- Career Development Award, American Heart Association, 2017
- Early Career Best Science Award Winner (1st place), American Heart Association Scientific sessions, Chicago, 2014
- Best Poster Award (1st place), 11th Dutch-German Joint Meeting of Molecular Cardiology Working Groups, Heidelberg, Germany, 2013
- Young Investigator Award, European Society of Cardiology, Heart Failure Association Winter Research Meeting, Les Diablerets, Switzerland, 2011
- Postdoctoral Fellowship, Bayerische Forschungsstiftung, Germany, 2010
- Young Investigator Award in Basic Sciences (1st place), International Society of Heart Research (ISHR), 2009
- Best Doctoral Thesis (1st place), French Society of Pharmacology, Physiology and Therapeutics, France, 2009
- Doctoral Fellowship from the Foundation of Medical Research (FRM), France, 2008
- Poster Prize (1st place), French Society of Cardiovascular Research Annual Meeting, Tours, France, 2007
- Doctoral Fellowship from the French Ministère de l’Education Nationale et de la Recherche Scientifique, 2005
Recent Media Coverage
Redirect ItemThe Roanoke Times: Friedlander: What is a future worth? , redirect Date: Mar 07, 2021