Timothy A. Johnson Medical Scholar Lecture Series
Hosted by the Fralin Biomedical Research Institute at VTC, and the VTC School of Medicine
2017 - 2018 Academic Year
- Researching Young Brains: Understanding the Sex Differences Following Injury
April 20, 2018 | Pelin Cengiz, M.D.
- The SHINE Trial (Stroke Hyperglycemia Insulin Network Effort): Considering Trial Design (Watch Lecture)
Mar. 30, 2018 | Karen Johnston, M.D.
- Democratizing Discovery Health with N=Me (Watch Lecture)
Feb. 16, 2018 | Elizabeth Ofili, M.D.
- Role of TL-1A/DR3 in Intestinal Inflammation (Watch Lecture)
Feb. 9, 2018 | Fabio Cominelli, M.D., Ph.D.
- T CD19 CAR-T Cell Immunotherapy for B Cell Malignancies
Nov. 17, 2017 | Cameron Turtle, Ph.D.
- Leveraging the Cyclic GMP Signaling Pathway as a Whole-Person Approach to Treating Acute Pulmonary Embolism (Watch Lecture)
Oct. 27, 2017 | Jeffrey Kline, M.D.
- Finding Solutions for the Obesity Epidemic
Sept. 22, 2017 | Chester Brown, M.D., Ph.D.
- What Rare Diseases Can Teach Us About Common Ones: Lessons from the Urea Cycle (Watch Lecture)
Sept. 15, 2017 | Marshall Summar, M.D.
2016 - 2017 Academic Year
- A Neural Circuitry Basis for the Core Clinical Features of Schizophrenia
April 7, 2017 | David Lewis, M.D.
- Integrins and the Kidney
Feb. 10, 2017 | Roy Zent, M.D., Ph.D.
- Advances in Locally Advanced Pancreatic Cancer through Irreversible Electroporation and Enhanced Chemotherapy Delivery
Feb. 3, 2017 | Robert Martin, M.D., Ph.D.
- Unmet Clinical Need and Identification of Novel Therapeutics
Nov. 11, 2016 | Brian Annex, M.D.
- Macrophage Apoptosis and Efferocytosis in Atherosclerosis (Watch Lecture)
Oct. 21, 2016 | MacRae F. Linton, M.D.
- Thymus Transplantation
Sept. 16, 2016 | M. Louise Markert, M.D., Ph.D.
- Individualized Anatomical ACL Reconstruction (Watch Lecture)
Sept. 1, 2016 | Freddie Fu, M.D.
2015 - 2016 Academic Year
- Stress Urinary Incontinence: Pathophysiology, Spectrum of Treatment and Outcomes
Mar. 25, 2016 | Holly Richter, M.D., Ph.D., FACOG, FACS
- Chronic Metabolic Acidosis: The Progression From Scientific Concept to Clinical Importance to Therapy (Watch Lecture)
Jan. 29, 2016 | Robert J. Alpern, M.D.
- An Electrostatic Mechanism for Ca2+-Mediated Regulation of Gap Junction Channels
Dec. 4, 2015 | Mark Yeager, M.D., Ph.D.
- Advances in Fetal and Neonatal Neuroimaging
Nov. 13, 2015 | P. Ellen Grant, M.D., M.Sc.
- Melanoma and Brain Metastases: Can Immunotherapy Cure a Disease that Arises in the Skin and Kills in the Brain?
Sept. 11, 2015 | Kim Margolin, M.D.
- Gaucher Disease and Parkinsonism: Insights from a Rare Disorder
Sept. 4, 2015 | Ellen Sidransky, M.D.
2014 - 2015 Academic Year
- Neuromodulation of the Sensorimotor Network in Parkinson's Disease
April 3, 2015 | Helen Bronte-Stewart, M.D.
- Nucleotide Repeat Expansions: Inflammation, Neurodegeneration, and the Role of MicroRNA in Pathogenesis
Mar. 20, 2015 | Erin Pennock Foff, M.D., Ph.D.
- Autosomal Recessive Polycystic Kidney Disease: New Insights Reveal Provocative Complexities
Feb. 20, 2015 | Lisa Guay-Woodford, M.D.
- Hepatopulmonary Syndrome: Bedside to Bench and Back Again
Feb. 6, 2015 | Michael Fallon, M.D.
- Pulmonary Hypertension: Has It Become a "Forgettable" Disease?
Nov. 21, 2014 | Robert Bourge, M.D.
- Immunological Mechanisms of Allergic Diseases and Asthma
Oct. 24, 2014 | Hirohito Kita, M.D.
- Clinical Genomics = Personal Genomes + Clan Genomics
Sept. 19, 2014 | James Lupski, M.D., Ph.D.
- Hypothesis-Generating Research and Predictive Medicine
Sept. 12, 2014 | Les Biesecker, M.D.
2013 - 2014 Academic Year
- The Congenital Cranial Dysinnervation Disorders
April 18, 2014 | Elizabeth Engle, M.D.
- Conducting Mechanism-Based Clinical Trials for Genetic Disorders: Neurofibromatosis Type 1
Mar. 21, 2014 | Bruce Korf, M.D., Ph.D.
- Risks of Pegylated Interferon Therapies for HCV Infections in Patients with Cirrhosis
Feb. 28, 2014 | John Vierling, M.D.
- Oxidative Stress: The Prime Cause of Disease and Disability in the Second Half of Life?
Jan. 10, 2014 | Christopher Wilcox, M.D., Ph.D.
- Influenza: Impact and Prevention
Dec. 6, 2013 | Kathryn Edwards, M.D.
- Calcium and Sudden Cardiac Death: From Genes to Teens to Finding Better Drugs
Nov. 8, 2013 | Bjorn Knollmann, M.D., Ph.D.
- HIV/AIDS and HLA B*57: Insights from Rules and Exceptions
Sept. 13, 2013 | Richard Kaslow, M.D., Ph.D.
2012 - 2013 Academic Year
- Holoprosencephaly and Fatty Liver: From Rare Diseases to Common Health Problems
Aug. 23, 2013 | Maximilian Muenke, M.D.
- The Changing Medical View of Memory Disorders and Alzheimer's Disease
May 3, 2013 | Rachelle S. Doody, M.D., Ph.D.
- Muscle Protein Metabolism in Chronic Kidney Disease
Jan. 25, 2013 | William Mitch, M.D.
- Developing Treatment for Hereditary Neuromuscular Diseases
Nov. 9, 2012 | Kenneth Fischbeck, M.D.
- The Cardiac Conduction System: From Development to Disease
Oct. 19, 2012 | Glenn I. Fishman, M.D.
- Rare Disease Discovery in the NIH Undiagnosed Diseases Program
Sept. 7, 2012 | William A. Gahl, M.D., Ph.D.
- Progress in Cystic Fibrosis Translational Research
Aug. 31, 2012 | Eric Sorscher, M.D.
About the Timothy A. Medical Scholar Lecture Series
The Timothy A. Johnson Medical Scholar Lecture Series hosts clinician scientists who are exploring frontiers of medicine. These lectures are principally intended for Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine students and Virginia Tech students in Translational Biology, Medicine, and Health graduate program. Virginia Tech and Carilion Clinic faculty, staff, and students may also attend. For more information about these events, please contact Dr. LaConte or call 540-526-2059.