COVID-19 Update: March 19, 2020
March 19, 2020
Dear Fralin Biomedical Research Institute and Vice President for Health Sciences and Technology Central Administration Colleagues,
As per the evolving situation, the following protocols are going into effect at 8 a.m. Thursday, March 19 until further notice:
- All non-critical administrative employees may telework from home if they choose to do so. If the employee chooses to telework, they must notify and coordinate their work plan with their supervisor.
- Exceptions to this protocol include critical employees including animal care staff (who do not report to the Fralin Biomedical Research Institute or OVPHST anyway), key IT staff, facilities staff and leadership (including the Fralin Biomedical Research Institute ED/VPHST ). Unit supervisors (communications, advancement, financial) may work from their offices as much as is feasible if they are comfortable in doing so and are not in one of the high risk groups.
- Each employee who is teleworking should do so – that is they should have their work phone forwarded to their cell phone, receive alerts and be able to access messages on their work phones remotely, be available and responsive for email communications throughout the work day and develop and follow a work plan as set by their supervisor.
- If people choose to come to work, they should follow the stringent policies already in place with regard to social distancing and hygiene. Anyone in any of the risk groups should not come to work during the period of their increased risk.
- If employees are staying home but not able to work, they should take sick time (if sick) or annual leave if they are otherwise pre-occupied with other activities that prevent them from teleworking.
Thanks very much to everyone for their help. Please continue to follow healthy preventative practices.
Michael J. Friedlander, Ph.D.
Virginia Tech Vice President for Health Sciences and Technology
Executive Director, Fralin Biomedical Research Institute at VTC
Senior Dean for Research, VTCSOM